Pedigree Charts


When I first developed an interest in genealogy research, my sole purpose was to discover where my family originated. As far as I knew, I was a southern mutt. I wanted to trace my ancestors back to the motherland ... wherever that might be.

I ignorantly assumed I could complete this task in an afternoon. I registered for the Ancestry.com free trial offer and input my parents' information. I anticipated I would have my answer in no time.

After the fourteen-day period, I realized my quick research was fraught with errors, and I was no closer to knowing my origin. However, I didn't care. I was hooked on the process.

I purchased the monthly subscription and started over. This time, I was determined to analyze the hints closely and move methodically through each branch of the family tree.

The Pedigree Chart

We used to breed Labrador Retrievers. Submitting proper pedigree charts to the ASPCA was essential to prove bloodline.

The first sixteen verses of the New Testament begin with Jesus' lineage. The author set out to prove Jesus was who he said he was.

A genealogist's pedigree chart accomplishes the same goal. We prove who we say we are. We identify our place in the world.

A pedigree chart begins with you -- links you to your mother and father --  links each of them to their mother and father (your 4 grandparents) -- links each of them to their mother and father (your 8 great-grandparents) -- and so on.

My initial goal was to complete four generations of the pedigree chart in order to identify my eight family names:

  • Father (COLEMAN)
  • Mother (MILES)
  • Father's mother (BRYAN)
  • Mother's mother (DOWDY)
  • Father's paternal grandmother (JOHNSON... maybe)
  • Father's maternal grandmother (WADE)
  • Mother's paternal grandmother (FRENCH)
  • Mother's maternal grandmother (CRANE)
The chart contains the following basic information for each ancestor:
  • Birthdate and place
  • Marriage date and place
  • Death date and place

Of course, this information is just the tip of the iceberg, but it can identify the names of unfamiliar relatives (in my case, the Johnson and French families).

After two years of focused research, I have completed the 5-generation pedigree chart (great-great-grandparents) with reasonable confidence. I have all family names (except for Johnson) back to the early 1800s. And in all cases, they were born and raised in the deep south: Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee. Several, I have discovered, fought in the Civil War. I may not know my country of origin, but I am learning to embrace my American heritage.

Pedigree Charts are available online. The colorful one pictured above can be found at Family Tree Sources. I personally use the printable PDF found at Family Tree Magazine. Experiment with various forms and see which one best suits your research style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Highlights from RootsTechConnect 2021

Why Write (another) Blog?

Courting Years