Alabama Cousins (I never knew I had)

The only photo I have of my great-father:
John Elias Bryan

Sometimes genealogy research answers questions I never thought to ask.

I started my research this weekend with the goal of learning more about my great-grandfather: Jack Bryan. 

I knew he was a barber in his home state of Mississippi -- he registered for the WWI draft in Memphis, TN -- he moved to San Antonio, Texas circa 1921. However, he seemed to disappear after the 1922 San Antonio city directory was published. I have yet to find any record of his death or burial. He is not listed as living in the San Antonio area after that date. I suppose he could have returned to Mississippi (or Memphis) but I have yet to research that possibility.

BUT... you can imagine my surprise when I discovered his wife, my great-grandmother, listed her marital status as "divorced" in the 1930 census! This little fact was NEVER discussed in the family. 

After a bit more sleuthing, I reasoned Jack must have died sometime between 1941 and 1952. In 1941, his daughter Veron succumbed to Tuberculosis. He is mentioned in the funeral notes as living in San Antonio. The first inkling I have of his passing is when his ex-wife lists her marital status as "widowed" in the 1952 San Antonio city directory.

While I did not learn all I had hoped... I will still continue to search for his death certificate and burial location. I'm curious to know if he severed all contact with family, or if they continued to remain in touch.

However, I was ready to put it on the backburner and instead follow the trail to Alabama.

"The Farm"

Here's the story I heard from Dad:

Mother had Tuberculosis and needed fresh air. So we went to Alabama to live on the farm with Uncle Paul and Aunt Maggie. Since the family attended the Church of Christ Scientist, we didn't go to the doctor. Instead, I was told to pray and God would heal her. Mother died in 1941 when I was thirteen years old.

There is a lot to unpack in this short narrative: 

  • What was TB like in the 1930s? 
  • How did Dad feel after losing his mother at such a young age? 
  • How did he reconcile his relationship with God as an adult --- a God who refused to answer a little boy's plea?
These are all in-depth questions that will take some concentrated research.

So this week I chose to dig into the Alabama farm connection.

The only photo I have of
Uncle Paul

First, I had to identify Paul and Maggie. 

Dad's mom was Veron Bryan. Her father was John Elias Bryan and her mother Mary Elvie Wade.

"Jack" had a sister Margaret and Mary had a brother Paul. Which side of the family owned this farm?

Since I recently discovered Mary's "divorce" status, I surmised this might be Wade property. Sure enough, the 1940 census revealed Mary, Veron, and the two boys living with Maggie on the farm. 

But where was Paul?

After a bit more research, I discovered he was living in town with his daughter Bertha, his son-in-law, and their five children: the oldest of which was my father's age!

  • Howard (born 1928 ... same year as Dad)
  • Calvin (born 1930)
  • Ralph (born 1931)
  • Charles (born 1932)
  • Patricia Ann (born 1933)
I feel fairly confident Dad spent time with these second cousins. Dad always referred to the Alabama period of his life as "Uncle Paul and Aunt Maggie" like they were a couple living together. However, I never heard any mention of children.

I am curious to know why Paul was living in town. Perhaps his daughter needed help with children... Or maybe Paul wanted to be close to his work as a repairman at the Railroad... Or... maybe he moved out of the farmhouse to make room for this young San Antonio family? I'm not sure I'll ever discover the true reason, but it will be fun to speculate at a later date.

In the meantime, I wondered about Mary's other siblings. Did they live in the area? Did they have grandchildren who were close to Dad's age?

The answer is a resounding YES!

My only photo of
Aunt Maggie

Paul had another daughter, Thelma, whose son Robert was also born in 1928.

Mary's eldest brother Cecil had a daughter Vance who had seven children:
  • Rebecca (born 1923)
  • Robert (born 1926)
  • Emmet (born 1928)
  • Nina (born 1929)
  • Jack (born 1931)
  • Mary Ann (born 1934)
  • Carol (born 1936)
While Ripley had children of similar age, his family lived in Memphis at the time.

However, the youngest brother, Mansel, lived in town with his wife and five children:
  • James (born 1918)
  • Lawrence (born 1922)
  • Mary (born 1923)
  • William (born 1926)
  • Lois (born 1928)

SO Many Cousins


In summary, Dad lived near 18 first-and-second cousins for the five-plus years he resided on the Alabama farm. Seven of those cousins were boys within five years of Dad and his brother. Can you imagine the shenanigans?!

Never did Dad mention any of these relatives...

As you might recall, Mom had a similar childhood experience. She grew up in a small farming community surrounded by cousins on both sides of the family. By my estimates, she lived near 20 first-and-second cousins who were born within a decade of her birthday.

Never did Mom mention any of these relatives...

I have dreamed of a large extended family for as long as I can remember. Probably because my childhood was the direct opposite. For nearly a decade it was just me and my younger brother. Eventually, my mother's half-sisters each had two children. But by that time, we had moved across the country and I was already in high school.

Both of my parents, at least for a small portion of their life, experienced my dream. Why did they never share this with me?

  • Could it be that childhood trauma blocked out these memories? (They each lost a parent, which in turn, dramatically changed their life)
  • Or perhaps my idyllic version of an extended family is not as pleasant as I imagine?
  • Or maybe the move to Houston started them on a different path that took them further away from their roots and toward a dream of their own?
I'm not sure I will ever discover the answers to these questions. And I have no living relatives who can share their perspective of this time period.

But genealogy has allowed me to realize my childhood dream in a different way. I can connect with family through vital documents and records. I can use Google Maps to enhance my knowledge of location and place. Social history adds context to the basic facts. And my imagination can craft a family narrative that connects my past with the future.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing that neither mentioned so many cousins. You'd think at least one cousin relationship would have been positive. Wow - more questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so sure the experiences were negative (although they could have been) ... but I wonder if perhaps the memories of losing a parent (and the immediate removal from everything they had ever known) was just too painful. It was emotionally easier to simply let go of all reminders (?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All very interesting. So many unanswered questions. We all seem to have them. How I wish I had asked more questions of my grandmother especially, but then again, she didn't know any of her birth relatives since she was adopted. Now I am learning through bits and pieces of genealogy that my Dad's mother's side of the family (birth) was quite large and they mostly lived in the same area...many would have been close contemporaries first to my grandmother, and then to her children, if they had only known. My grandparents only lived about 40 miles from her birth family until they retired and moved to Florida. Actually some of her extended cousins, etc., lived in Pittsburgh, where my grandparents raised their family...they could have almost been in the same schools growing up and never even knew each other! That blows my mind! Isn't genealogy interesting? I am glad you are continuing your research. I renewed my Ancestry membership when one of my "cousins" from this family contacted me, so now I am back on the trail again. LOL. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam ... I'm ashamed to admit that I used to think genealogy was nothing but a bunch of old documents. I had no idea the stories contained within. Nor did I realize I would unlock a few family secrets and discover a rich family heritage. YES!! Genealogy is fascinating :) I'm glad you will continue to build your Ancestry tree.

    ReplyDelete