Baby Book Clues

 



When I began this family history quest two years ago, I knew little about my parents' childhoods. They rarely shared memories of the past, and I was too busy with life to ask many questions.

After Mom's passing in 2011, I inherited a few plastic tubs filled with snapshots and old papers. Many of the photographs are of little value because I don't recognize the subject: unnamed army buddies that have long since passed or scenic car rides to unknown places. 

However, I have discovered a few lost treasures. One of which is ...


My Mother's Baby Book

At first blush, this "dainty brochure" (as described on the front page) gives only a glimpse into Mom's past. For example, it confirms she was born on April 30, 1928, but it also includes the time (4:30pm) and her weight (9 pounds!)

My grandmother kept track of each baby gift (and its giver), and the quintessential list of firsts: 1st smile (one week old) - 1st tooth (4 months 10 days) - 1st words (bye-bye and Mama).

Upon closer inspection, however, the notes contained with this fragile pamphlet provide a number of clues for future research endeavors.

The backside of the front cover tells me where my grandmother obtained this book: 
Maris Drug Company: a Rexall Store. Drugs and Jewelry in Franklin, TX.
I'd love to learn more about this unique shop -- drugs and jewelry?? Learning more about this store will give me insight into the lifestyle of this small Texas town in the early 1930s.

photo found at www.cityoffranklintx.com


The Birth Record not only lists the date and time of Mom's birth but also the physician (Dr. J.K. Holman) and the nurse (Floyd's mother)?! While I don't think my great-grandmother received medical training, I am curious to know... how many other family births did she assist? Was this common practice? What knowledge and tasks were involved?

Baby's Family Tree confirms my genealogy findings (whew!) However, the surname "French" from my research is spelled "Franch" in the book (perhaps it's the Texas twang seeping through...) The tree identifies Patsy Owl as the "maternal great grandmother" but my research identifies a woman named  Rosanna Baker. Obviously, further investigation is needed.

Baby's Weight shows Mom was a healthy eater. The typical weight for a six-month-old is listed as sixteen pounds. Mom weighed 21.5 pounds at that age! I'd say country living did her good.

Baby's First Callers and Playmates provide the most clues for further genealogy research. Some of the names I recognize: an uncle and his two daughters as well as another uncle. I also recognize the married name of an aunt (and her mother-in-law). Interestingly, her daughter was born nine months after Mom and she is listed as a playmate. But several names are unfamiliar. I want to know more about these significant people in Mom's formative years: J. C. Tena - Celeste Frazer - Hubert Blount - Francis Springfield.


The Last Page of the booklet was blank --- to use any way my grandmother saw fit. She chose to create her own list of firsts. I found this page MOST insightful. For example:
  • First trip to town (June 9, 1928). To me, documenting a trip to town depicts rural country life in a nutshell. Not only do I want to research Maris Drug Company, but I'd like to research the town of Franklin in the 1930s.
  • First ride on a horse (July 6, 1928) and first time to the cow-pen (June 30, 1928). I know Mom came from a farming family, but I have no idea what they farmed. Obviously, they had cows... but I wonder what else? An old photo shows Mom and Ma Miles sitting in a rather large garden, but I believe the harvest was more for family consumption than livelihood.
  • Several firsts involved a trip to Houston (at two months old). First train, first streetcar, first bus, first time to cross on a ferry (??) I wonder why they went to Houston? Were they visiting relatives who lived there? And if so, did my grandmother visit these relatives when she went to secretarial school after her husband died? (more on this particular family story found here).
  • First time picked cotton (one year old). OH MY!! This commands my attention. Did they farm cotton? Or was this simply a novel attraction for this particular time and place in history? I intend to find out.
This simple, 16-page baby book provides much insight into Mom's early childhood. And while the information raises more questions than it answers, I am inspired to continue my research with vigor. 


4 comments:

  1. So many interesting "firsts." I'm so glad this special book was preserved for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to find such a treasure! That is so wonderful, and I wonder if that was the norm back then. I guess I thought "baby books" were a more recent idea, but I love that your grandmother thought to keep one on your mother. Yes, that does give you lots of new clues to follow and see where they lead. Thank you for sharing this with us. Makes me wish I could find such a insightful "gift" for my parents. So happy for you. Yes, please keep us posted when you find out more about these gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected to find such a treasure, Pam! Mom's baby book and her wedding book (where she recounts the stories leading up to the ceremony) were the greatest surprise in the box. I am very grateful for this glimpse into her childhood.

      Delete