Courting Years

A few weeks ago, I shared snippets of Mom's wedding book. She detailed how she and my dad met as sophomores in high school, and how they dated off-and-on until he left for Japan in January 1947.

This week the story continues (again, in Mom's own words):

He came home in January 1948, but we were unable to understand each other and after a few weeks, we called it quits. Everyone was shocked but I was unable to explain. Gleason entered Texas University in June 1948 and carried a heavy load at school as well as working long hours at the Texas Power Reserve. He still made all As and Bs.

We corresponded about once a month and saw each other once that summer and once in the summer of 1949. We enjoyed each other but only as friends.

Reagan's class of 1945 was to have its reunion on June 4, 1950, and I sent him the news clipping. He seemed interested in coming and our going to it together. He drove over in his first car - a 1949 black Ford. We both were so proud of it as all our dating had been on buses. We had the happiest time the weekend of the reunion that I could ever remember.

I'd love to know why they were unable to understand one another. 

  • Was it because Dad experienced things in Japan that Mom couldn't fathom?
  • Was it because Mom was now an "older" sister after being an only child for eighteen years?
  • Did both of them date others while apart? Did this cause mixed feelings?


The Legend is True...



From the time I was a little girl, Mom always said Dad proposed to her in a letter. While the story made for great laughs around the dining room table, none of us thought it true. Dad wasn't exactly known for his romantic ways, but surely he was more galant than that?

Exhibit A: Mom's Wedding Book entry

Before he left town (after the reunion) he said he loved me. Returning to Austin he wrote every night and the second week he wrote, "Ed (his roommate) thinks we should get married -- I do too -- what do you think?" That was my proposal!

Exhibit B: Dad's Letter

Ed just stepped in to tell me that he thought we should get married. And you know, I agree with him! I know that this is no way for a proposal to be made, but I'll never have a decent night's sleep until I know --- could you still marry a louse like me? Honest, Butch, I never felt like this in all my life; I've really got a bad case and it is no longer just a crush. If you say "yes" I'll be the happiest guy in the world, and I'll really you right when next I see you. If you must say "no" well, I'll still love you anyway. Please tell me quick so I won't go completely nuts!

Of course, Mom kept the other letters as well, but this one has such special meaning!


Mom continues the story:

Gleason came over Friday night, June 30, 1950, for the fourth of July weekend and he had a surprise for me. As we were about to leave the house to meet some friends, he nervously sat down, took my left hand, and said he had something he wanted to show me. 

I thought it was his college ring, but instead, it was my engagement ring! I was so beautiful, just what I would have selected and it was too small! ... I slept with the ring scotchtaped to my finger!

... We set our wedding date for February 3, 1951, as Gleason would be graduated from Texas University in January. However, Gleason came back the following weekend and we decided that February was too long to wait so we moved the date up to September 2, 1950.

The next weekend Gleason and Ed came over and we moved it up again to July 29, 1950. After seven years we suddenly get in a big hurry!

That was only two weeks off with scads of things to be done.

I'm not quite sure how she did it, but Mom pulled it off.
  • The wedding gown was handsewn by the mother of a close friend. 
  • The church was booked for 8:00pm Saturday evening. 
  • Wedding invitations were quickly printed and mailed. 
  • Flowers were ordered from Jeannette's (Mom saved the $50.85 check). 
  • Cake was ordered from the local Weingarten's grocer (check for $18.50). 
  • Snapshots would be the responsibility of a good friend with a camera.
  • The reception would be at my grandmother's house (probably with the help of her 3.5-year-old toddler)
I'm not sure Mom fantasized about her wedding day. But after seven years of dating and three years of embroidering linens for a hope chest, I think she and Dad both knew what they wanted: a future with a secure job that provided a roof over their head, food on the table, and a home filled with unconditional love.


8 comments:

  1. Oh this is so romantic and beautiful! I love it!! I love that you have the original letter of proposal too! And the list of expenses. Amazing they could arrange everything so quickly! Such a wonderful story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pam! The letters and her wedding book were indeed a welcome surprise. I wish I had more handwritten notes from Mom, but I am grateful for what I have.

      Delete
  2. Love this - and the handwritten letter is priceless !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not believe the letter really existed :) I always thought it was a tall-tale for dramatic effect (I should have known better... I don't Mom ever made a joke in her life)

      Delete
  3. What a special memory to have in writing! I'm so glad you shared it with us, Molly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane. I am glad to have this space to share these stories - and keep me accountable to write the family history before it's too late.

      Delete
  4. What an absolute treasure to have her/their story recorded in her own hand! I truly enjoyed reading and seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I now need to find a way to preserve the original documents so my grandchildren can appreciate them in the years to come :)

      Delete