Birth Certificates: What's in a Name?

 


My father was known as the man with two last names: Gleason Walter Coleman.

I knew his middle name was in honor of his father, Walter Albert  Coleman.

But I wondered why his parents decided on such an unusual given name. Unfortunately, I never thought to ask Dad when he was alive. I simply assumed they named him Gleason because they liked the name. After all, that is the criteria I used to name my children.

After a few months of online research, I stumbled upon my father's birth certificate. 

 And much like last week's discussion of death certificates, I discovered these documents provide a wealth of useful information. For example:

  • Birthdate and time (20 FEB 1928 at 8:23 pm)
  • His first home residence (1226 Drexel Avenue San Antonio, TX)
  • His father's full name and birthplace (Walter Albert Coleman - Oklahoma City, OK)
  • His father's occupation (Ass. Cowles Auto Livery Service)
  • His mother's maiden name and birthplace (Vernon Bryan - Ripley, MS)
  • His mother's occupation (housewife)
While I knew my grandfather's name, I did not know he was born in Oklahoma. By combining this information with what I learned from Walter's death certificate (his parents are William L and Lillian), I can verify the location of this family on the 1910 census.

From the 1920 census, however, I learn Lillian is widowed with three young children (age 9-14). She is the primary wage earner working as a telephone girl in a garage.

The 1930 census shows Lillian remarried. Her new husband, Gleason Cowles, is the manager of an auto service. From this information I hypothesize the following arguments: 
  • The garage where Lillian worked as a telephone operator is the same auto service business that Gleason Cowles managed
  • Gleason Cowles more than likely managed the auto service that bore his name: Cowles Auto Livery Service 
  • Walter Albert worked for his stepfather on the day my father was born.

While no one can verify my story, I choose to believe that my father was named after Gleason Cowles ... Walter's stepfather.

But why name a son after a stepfather?

Further research revealed the answer. 

I discovered Walter's father, William L Coleman, died in 1913 when Walter was just four years old. At this point, Walter is the only male in a house with two sisters and a mother.

The Texas Select County Marriage Index shows Lillian Coleman married Gleason Cowles on 05 APR 1920 (three months after the 1920 census that showed her working as a telephone girl in a garage). 

Walter is now nine years old, and the most significant man during his formative years was Gleason Cowles.

Walter honored that man by naming his firstborn son after him.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Highlights from RootsTechConnect 2021

Why Write (another) Blog?

Courting Years